Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Way Too Many Pictures of Noah and Fire


So, it's our first campfire of the season. And I love campfires. I learned how to build a "one-match-fire" at Camp Wise, the Cleveland JCC camp located near Burton, Ohio. I learned song-leading there, too. I loved Camp Wise. Campfires take me back to those "good old days."

Above, you can see I've gathered my tinder, kindling, and fuel. I learned that at camp. When I first came to Stone Gardens, they had been lighting their campfires with lighter fluid. I have since put a stop to that.

Below, you can see the people beginning to gather for the big event. (My one-match-fire is the big event, just in case you weren't sure.)



Here I am explaining my Camp Wise training and how I will build the one-match-fire. I do this at every campfire.


Here I am putting my one match to the tinder. I have built an A-frame out of two of the pieces of fuel.


Te tinder has caught. Now, I have to feed it slowly and carefully.



I might have been meditating in this photo - becoming one with the fire, maybe. Not literally. That would hurt.


There was a momentary, but welcome, interruption of a marshmallow delivery. When we opened our marshmallows earlier, every bag had turned to little rocks. Our supplier was kind enough to make a personal, emergency marshmallow delivery, braving the wilds and navigating right to our campsite.



I officially dub the photo below the one that's one too many pictures of me and fire.


Now, all the residents, staff, guests and I get to enjoy the rest of the program which included storytelling, singing songs, and roasting marshmallows.





We have a one campfire planned for every month during the warm weather. Watch your schedules for them and come and join us!